Mold smell after water damage
Molds are most likely to begin their growth inside your building on or in wet materials after you have experience some water damages in your homes. You don't need to see molds before you know that you have them growing in your home after water damage, once you detect a noticeable earthy or musty smell; it means that you most likely have molds growing in hidden places in your home.
Types of mold after water damage in homes
There are different types of mold that can grow in your home after water damage depending on the amount of moisture you have as a direct result of the water damage. The "available water" which comes as a result of the water damage is called "Water activity" and it is measured from scale 0 to 1. A result that shows scale 1 means that you have serious water damage in your home. Depending on the water activity in homes, molds can be separated into 3 categories
1. Primary Colonizers
This type of mold does not need much water activity to grow. They can be able to grow and thrive at a water activity less than or equal to 0.80
2. Secondary Colonizers
This type of colonizers need more water activity at level between 0.80 and 0.90 to grow
3. Tertiary Colonizers
Tertiary Colonizers can only survive at water activity greater than 0.90. This implies that they need excessive water to grow and thrive. Tertiary colonizers are used as indicators of serious water damage.
How to remove mold that grows as result of water damage
Molds survive where it's damp. Molds are usually found on the inside of wall cavity or under the carpet when water damage affects indoor environments. Once you suspect presence of mold growth or you smell earthy smell which suggests mold's growth, you need to take immediate steps to test and remove them immediately.
You have to remove the mold that is growing in your home. Mold testing, removal and remediation can be simple and affordable task when you hire a good Professional Mold Testing Company. Mold companies know the right chemicals and tools they can use to make sure that your home stay away from the menace of molds for a very long time.